Impetigo is a skin infection caused by bacteria and is contagious. It is very common among infants and young children. But, anyone can also get it once in contact with the infected individual. This skin condition is commonly caused by bacteria known as Staphylococcus aureus. If the infection is not severe, impetigo may clear up in a week by using topical antibiotics
This skin problem affects the outer layer of the skin particularly in the arms, legs, and the face. Almost 10% of pediatric issues are accounted to impetigo.
Common Symptoms Impetigo or Mamaso
The condition initially manifests by a reddish spot clustered around the lips and the nose. The red spots further develop into blisters and once it burst will eventually form a yellowish crust. When the condition aggravates, the blisters expand to other parts of the skin.
The sores can be itchy and may be painful. Once the crust is removed red marks are left, but may fade on its own. Impetigo is very uncomfortable and may cause swollen glands and fever particularly in severe cases.
Impetigo may develop due to poor hygiene. Definitely, the bacteria may spread if the individual does not practice proper hygiene. Getting into sports that engage skin-to-skin contact can also trigger acquiring the infection.
Natural Remedy for Impetigo
The skin condition can be treated by employing natural remedy. This means that you can use some cleaning supplies available in your home to treat the condition.
- Clean the sores by using water and antibacterial soap. Don’t scrub the crust to avoid debilitating the sores. Let it dry before applying antibacterial ointment.
- Mix water and vinegar. Use it in washing the sores. The acid present in the vinegar can kill the bacteria. Do this at least 3 times a day.
- Boil guava leaves and use the decoction to wash the sores. Guava has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help to heal the wounds.
- Garlic is effective to fight infection. Use the juice of the grated garlic. Apply it by using a cotton ball.
- Tea tree oil has strong anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. You can mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a drop of tea tree oil. Apply the mixture and let it set for 30 minutes before rinsing it.
To prevent the infection follow the necessary precautionary measures listed below:
- Never share towels
- Keep the fingernails short and clean
- To avoid the spread of the infection, the infected individual should stay at home
- Wash the personal belongings of the infected person with hot water