Chorchorus or Saluyot is a herbal plant native to the Philippines. It’s popular in cooking in many provinces but it’s also effective as a herbal plant. It’s quickly becoming a popular herbal remedy for many diseases like Diabetes and Asthma.
The herbal plant comes in green or red variety and its leaves are rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Saluyot is good for the eyesight because of its beta-carotene content
- It contains iron and calcium needed to make the bones healthier and the red blood cells normal in numbers
- It has anti-inflammatory properties
- It can cure chronic inflammation of the urinary bladder
- It has vitamin C for better immune system
- Can lower blood pressure and cholesterol due to its thiamine, niacin, folate, riboflavin and dietary fibers content
- Can proote better functions of the heart and liver
Saluyot is good for the skin because it can effectively reduce wrinkles, slows aging and make the skin look young and feel smoother.
Another thing worth mentioning is that saluyot is good for pregnant and lactating mothers because it can lower the pain during labor. It lowers the risk of diabetes during pregnancy.
Saluyot can encourage more milk production in mothers.
The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) came up with the nutritional facts of cooked saluyot per half cup.
• Protein – 1.30 grams
• Calcium – 87.3 milligrams
• Phosphorus – 22.5 milligrams
• Iron – 1.0 milligrams
• Beta carotene – 1334 micrograms
• Thiamine – 0.02 milligrams
• Riboflavin – 0.04 milligrams
• Niacin – 0.30 milligrams
• Ascorbic acid – 10 milligrams
• Fat – 0.30 grams
• Carbohydrates – 3.1 gram
• Fiber – 0.40 grams
• Retinol Equivalent (vitamin A) – 222 micrograms
Saluyot is really a healthy plant that you can eat to prevent illnesses or cure some. You can put it with your other foods so that you can stay healthy.